Wednesday, March 5, 2014

SOMBRE WALK

The sun was shining
As I walked home from the shop,
A hearse bedecked in mournful suit
Brought me to a respectful stop.
The flower festooned coffin
Silent dignity on its final ride,
A pause for contemplation
A prayer for who had died.
Shades of black peered from the car
Tears shed by a solemn family,
The pain, the hollow eyes and grief
Too soon for the memory.
The birds sang a lilting dirge
Proclaiming the season of new life,
Whilst below the pangs of sorrow
Severed unity and love like a knife.
My own mortality did I see
Darkness can't be forever defied,
One day it'll be my funeral march
I faltered in my stride.
Trees, filtered by a wafer thin sun
Cast doubt on my earlier talk,
Of long life and new found joy
With head bowed in a sombre walk.
Phil Hall  March 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment