Monday, July 8, 2013

LIQUID SUNSHINE

LIQUID SUNSHINE


The warming glow of cane
Slides easily over the ice,
Whilst we’re serenaded
 By whistling frogs
Proclaiming their love,
Or their territory
High in the swaying palms.
 The ivory slams down hard
 On the weathered mahogany table,
Professional gaze, level and yet amused
Scans the dominoes lay exposed
The liquid sunshine, smooth and silken
Caresses the senses
As I produce the double six.
The Caribbean Sea laps the shore
With an audible sigh,
Bad move
Teeth sucking and cussing
And the winning ivory shatters the peace.
White man sipping good rum
But the black man wins again,
Nothing is better
Good friends
Good food,
Total relaxation
On this beautiful Isle.
The heady mix of rum
With soft soca wafting in the wind,
The early hours
Of a Caribbean day
Spicy flying fish cutters
Washed down with an ice cold beer,
Heaven has touched the land.
The mind seduced
 By the cream of the Sugar cane,
The golden, liquid sunshine
Whether masked in coke
Or neat in the crystal goblet
Is the essence of a wonderful night.
One day I’ll return
To my friends
The taxi drivers,
Slamming the dominoes
Sipping the good old rum
At Accra beach
Barbados
Heaven on earth.



Phil Hall  July 2013









3 comments:

  1. i am shattered by you not being part of my daily life, my knight, my friend, my forever crush. you have helped me so much with your beautiful words. you helped me come back to life. you became a great part of my day. i will miss you greatly. maybe we will see each other in Barbados when my humpty dumpty self is put back together again. i wish to drop by and read you if you don't mind, i miss you already my knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You teleport me to the seaside in Barbados! Thanks Phil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim you'll be just fine, and if you do make it to Barbados trust me you'll be put back together quite quickly. So I say make the trip. Phil since you're not "anywhere" I'll just silently read and appreciate your words.

    ReplyDelete