Monday, October 21, 2013

AGNES

When I was a little boy
And wore short trousers
To my school,
We poked fun at others
Less fortunate
So now I feel a fool.
One boy at church
We called humpty dumpty,
Because he had enormous head
He suffered with hydrocephalus
And now, he's no doubt dead.
One boy wore callipers
To improve his awkward gait,
Another suffered sleep apnoea
And always got to school late.
Then there was little Agnes
A sister to a boy in my year,
She was a downs syndrome child
And all of our class loved her.
She wore ribbons in her hair
Waved and smiled to all of us,
When we were in the playground
And she was on the special bus.
At the Christmas party
She was allowed to come and dance,
I remember the tune was 'Telstar'
Her little feet did prance.
She left a mark on all of us
With her funny little face,
Her indelible smile imprinted deep
Her aura stayed in place.
I hope she had a full life
As we left to go our separate ways,
It wasn't easy for downs syndrome kids
In those far off days.
She had the love of her family,
Church congregation and the school
I grew up fast after meeting Agnes,
Treat all the same became the rule.
That beautiful little girl was an angel
Who showered love everywhere.
I just hope she led a full, happy life
In a world that isn't always fair.

Phil Hall October 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment