Monday, February 24, 2014

PSST.... OI! OVER 'ERE

Psst
Oi, over 'ere,
Pull up a stool
And lend an ear.
What's your tipple
Wine or beer?
I'm not trying
To chat you up
Let me make that perfectly clear.
No
It's just that
I've something to say,
It won't keep
Another day.
I've been thinking
Thinking of flying away,
I pray it's the right thing to do
Oh how I pray.
Here
This is my lady
She's the one for me,
This picture of her
A recent memory.
I'll be leaving this life
So much to let be,
This country, my England
My friends, my family.
Yes
Of course I'll miss them
I'll miss it all,
Long summer days
Cricket and of course football.
Fine English ale, fabulous cider
And the autumn leaves fall,
I'll miss the Christmas carol
And the beautiful robins call.
Tears?
What tears?
No, that's my advancing age,
The next chapter in life
Starts on the next page.
A step into the unknown
Excitement being my wage,
A better life lies in wait
To which I'll engage.
Thanks
Thank you for listening
It must've been a chore,
Sipping on your red wine
Hearing the drone of a bore.
But, I needed to chat
To think aloud once more,
I've never done anything
Like this before.
Bye
Be safe
Wrap up, outside it's  cool,
Another beer please barman
Maybe a frame of pool.
I'll stay off the Irish whiskey
Don't mix that's my rule,
Psst! Pull up a stool friend
Have a drink and please listen to this old fool.
I'm not trying to chat you up
Let me make that perfectly clear.......
Phil Hall  February 2014

1 comment: