Friday, March 1, 2013

FROM THE OCEAN


             FROM THE OCEAN

The timeless waves crash against the desolate beach,
Haunted cries of the gulls, hanging in a lonely wind.
As sand whips around my feet plumes of reeds guide my eyes.
The pink horizon holding memories of an ancient mariner’s tale.
Each breath invigorates my soul with peace from this world,
The muffled applause of sea and shingle, constant and steady.
                                    ************
With no one to share this feast of spindrift and salty spray,
Stinging my face and eyes with each playful stroke.
My face is raised to the life giving spume of Hyperion’s breath.,
Then hand circling on the carpet of glistening sand.
Dunlin and Knot race to and fro’ before the surf,
The trial of life gives play for a taste of the oceans fruit.
                                    *************
Lonely sea, cold sea, steely resolute friend and foe,
Thought invoking, soul refreshing, invigorating sea.
The much travelled winds arms wrapped around me,
I roam past boats long since abandoned.
Their paint ageing pastel by sea and sun, flaking slowly.
With bones of crab pots stacked in disarray,
                                    *************
Where bladder wrack dried black, lies tangled in nets.
Sand dunes flow like a dry sea in a world of secretive shallow.
They stretch along the coast, giving echo to the surf.
As I stand with an ear to the curlews impassioned cry,
Eons have passed since man first stepped from the ocean.
But, like the gull and the wave, I’ll be drawn back evermore,


Phil Hall    may 2012 


There is nothing I love more than walking along deserted beaches. The cry of the gulls, the feel of the salty air and the taste of the sea really refreshes ones mind and soul. 

4 comments:

  1. I've just shared this one on Facebook so my friends can discover you as well. Brill work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like, "sand dunes flow like a dry sea in a world of secretive shallow". Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phil , Thank you for highlighting this beautiful piece . I can almost hear the Gulls and smell the salt air . Refreshing indeed ! There is something special about the sea , especially after living close and spending a lot of time there . I do miss it badly at times . Oh for the taste of real fresh Lobster or Crab . Hard to find here in the Rocky Mountains .

    ReplyDelete
  4. phil this is my favorite way to experience the sea. i have loved it since childhood. you have phrased my emotional attachment to the sea. land-locked arkansas is beautiful but it does not refresh me like a brisk sea breeze. thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete