Friday, May 3, 2013

NUMBER 9


                             NUMBER 9

The day I made my debut for Solihull Borough,
In the July of 85 and its beautiful summer.
A friendly match against local rivals Moor Green,
Tanned, flat top haircut, solid muscles and lean.
As we started to get changed, to me not a word,
But, from the opponents’ room a loud voice was heard.
“Watch out for their number 9, he’s fast and he’s raw”
“You lot give him space to run and he will score.”
All eyes turned to me as I hid a smile,
It was the best feeling I’d had for a while.
Pulling on my number 9 shirt then adjusted my pads,
I sprinted from the dressing room, with the rest of the lads.
Then I started to warm up putting muscles to the test,
I knew their team was watching, so I pumped up my chest.
The match ended 1-1 and naturally I scored,
Sprinting past three defenders and putting the keeper to the sword.
When we played West Brom I scored two more,
Against AP Leamington I even grabbed four.
I’d started off  so well and I knew all the lads names,
I’d scored eleven goals in only six games.
But that one against Moor Green was the one I most remember,
Because hard times occur, I didn’t score at all in September.

Phil Hall   Sept 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment