Saturday, May 11, 2013

SPARTAN


SPARTAN


What is a mother’s love?
I was ripped from the womb
Warrior born,
To the mountains sent
To become
 Spartan.

What heart I had
Turned to iron
Blood became just rust,
Cracked shield
And dented sword
My only companions.

To kill a lion
That mighty foe,
Was my task to prove
I was warrior.
I am built for war,
I am Spartan.

My calling came
When Xerxes struck,
Leonides needed my sword.
Under his banner
I screamed my defiance
At the Persian horde.

My scars, my trophies
Of glorious slaughter,
My sword sent lives to hell.
My breastplate I cast aside,
My chest will take your blade,
Then I’ll laugh with death the prize.

We lie in glory
Victorious in our death,
We’re feasting in the warrior halls.
My sword will rise
When called upon
Spartan never dies.


An English warrior
Reborn of Spartan pride,
We never back down
 From any fight,
The few against the masses.
I am
Spartan.

Phil Hall  May 2013







3 comments:

  1. I like this one! "Spartan Never Dies" you are such a warrior... i think you was recarnated or something..... no is because you know your history :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely were born in the wrong era I think. As I have said before I love the historical ones. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. powerful. it brings you right into the images of war. you write these poems so well it seems effortless and we all know that when something seems effortless a lot of blood, sweat, and tears probably went into the forming if it.

    ReplyDelete