Friday, April 19, 2013

CITY SHOPPING


CITY SHOPPING

I went to the city centre today,
It was very windy, I should say,
I was on a roof top car park, nearly getting blown away.
Not much space and time, for the amount you have to pay.

The skyline of Birmingham, looked really fine from up on high,
 Into a department store and its many luxuries to buy.
Salesmen so effeminate, looking down at me, why?
I suppose it was my scruffy jeans and scar above the eye.

Women with lots of make up and heavily scented too,
I didn’t realise how important it was, what these ladies do.
They stand around spraying passers by, with Chanel and Jimmy Choo,
All except me of course, as I asked them for the loo.

Out onto the street now, greeted by such an amazing scene,
Similar to the smugglers bar, in the Star wars planet of Tatooine.
Swarthy folk of varying attire and differing shades of skin,
The sound of off key Peruvian pan pipes added to the chagrin.

I was getting quite thirsty, so I found a coffee shop,
 Staring aghast at the price of things, the waitress caught me on the hop.
She asked if I wanted chocolate flakes and a marshmallow on top,
“No” I said “Just coffee” and the price made my jaw drop.

Now I’m not tight, but going to the city makes me rather pensive,
The ludicrous prices in some shops, has my wallet on the defensive.
I’d like a job in the perfume shop, with the ladies so attractive,
But, I’m sure the darlings who shop there, would find me too repulsive.

So, I’ll limit my time in the city, to when Christmas is getting near,
Having fun at the German market, with all of its festive cheer.
I don’t mind then parting with my cash on things so very dear,
 Usually I’m nicely lubricated by then, on good old English beer.

Phil Hall  April 2013 


2 comments:

  1. I don't know you have a blog ! i'll come back an other day for a visit !
    Ah, the city.....more we are old, less we like :
    it's noisy, expensive, we are rushed....!
    it's not a life
    Françoise

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had a good laugh... but you are right how expensive shit is.. love how descriptive you was love it....this is something i would think of

    ReplyDelete